Alumni of the Year - Dr. Edwin Cabigao
Dr. Edwin Cabigao was named the School of Nursing 2012 Alumni of the Year. Dr. Cabigao is the Chief Nurse Executive of the Jewish Home of San Francisco. He was presented with his award at the School of Nursing Pinning Ceremony on May 20, 2013.
He started very early in his nursing career working as a Registered Nurse in various healthcare settings and discovered his passion working for the elderly. He began his long-term care career as a medication aide in an assisted living facility, Grossmont Gardens in La Mesa, California. He worked as a charge nurse and then as assistant director of nursing at Victorian Healthcare Center, a Kindred Healthcare facility in San Francisco. He next accepted a position of Director of Nursing at Golden Gate Healthcare Center (another Kindred Healthcare facility), which under his leadership achieved state recognition for exemplary nursing care standards. He was promoted to District Director of Clinical Operations for the Northern California District responsible for nine nursing homes in San Francisco bay area. He accepted another challenging position as Chief Nursing Executive for a non-profit organization, Jewish Home in San Francisco 4 years later, where he manages strategic, operational, regulatory, and financial performances of organization’s nursing services. Currently, he teaches in Gerontology department: Aging Processes and Aging & Diversity at San Francisco State University.
- Ph.D., Healthcare Administration, Touro International University
- Master of Arts, Gerontology with a special emphasis in Long Term Care Administration, San Francisco State University
Bachelor of Science, Nursing, San Francisco State University
- Magna Cum Laude Academic Excellence Award in Nursing at San Francisco State University
- California's coveted Quality Awards from the Department of Health Services for exemplary care of residents
- Director of Nursing of the Year in 2002
- Annual American Health Care Association (AHCA) Quality Award in 2003
- Alumni Recognition Award from SFSU School of Social Work in 2009 and 2010
- He was selected by Dr. Darlene Yee, Professor of Gerontology at San Francisco State University, to write a chapter in a book titled, Aging in Contemporary Society: Translating Research Into Practice, which was published in Fall, 2005.
- Dr. Cabigao was featured in Norwegian Journal of Nursing (Sykepleien) for a special issue highlighting those who have extensive experience in nursing in the U.S.
- He also has written and implemented educational programs on restorative nursing, infection outbreak, end of life, transition of care, and survey management.