Prospective students must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate program:
- Master’s degree or higher in nursing
- Valid California RN license
- One year RN clinical experience
Admission into the program occurs twice per year as described below:
The Fall entry program start is specifically for:
- Students who have graduated from an SF State MSN program, excluding the Nursing Administration emphasis, within the previous five years.
- Fall classes begin mid to late August.
- Length of program: 12 months
The summer entry program start is required for prospective students who:
- Earned their master's or higher nursing degree at a school other than San Francisco State University; or
- Received a MSN degree from SF State longer than five years ago or pursued the Nursing Administration track.
- Summer classes begin in June.
- Length of program: 15 months
Cal State Apply Application Period
October 1 - January 15
We strongly recommend that prospective students complete the Cal State Apply application as early as possible during the application period to allow time for an SF State ID number to be issued and all required university documentation, including a set of official transcripts, residency status information, etc., to be submitted, received and processed. Late applications will not be accepted.
Submit Application to San Francisco State University via Cal State Apply.
A personal statement, 250-500 words and must address the following:
- Describe the Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Program of study you are interested in as it relates to your career goals
- Explain why you are seeking a degree from SF State
- How do you anticipate this program will assist your goals?
- What contributions do you foresee adding to the field of nursing?
- What special attributes will you bring to the nursing profession?
- A set of unofficial transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended
- Three reference letters - at least one of these must address health-related work or volunteer experience.