Freshman cannot be admitted to San Francisco State University as a nursing major. They instead can be admitted as Pre-Nursing students or to an alternate major. Please note:
- The Pre-Nursing designation does not guarantee admission into the nursing major.
- These students must work closely with counselors in the university Undergraduate Advising Center or the College of Health and Social Sciences Student Resource Center regarding schedule planning for prerequisite coursework. It is important for freshman to seek advisement beginning their first semester to remain on track for submitting an application to the nursing major, ideally, during the fall semester of sophomore year.
Current SF State Students
SF State students who have earned 96 or more units may not apply to an impacted major. The School of Nursing is complying with this policy. Please visit the university policy for details. We encourage students who are affected by the policy to graduate from the university under an alternate major and then apply to one of our entry level master's programs.
All prospective transfer students must be admissible to SF State in accordance with existing criteria as stated in the Undergraduate Admissions Requirements section of the University Bulletin.
The following requirements must be met to be eligible to apply:
Must be a California resident or be eligible for in-state tuition.
Minimum Grade Point Average
Prerequisite GPA must be 3.0 or higher.
- Score 78 or higher on the ATI TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills) within three attempts. Online remote proctored test during pandemic is acceptable.
Must complete all prerequisite courses below with a minimum grade of C by the time of NursingCas application submission.
SF State Course Number
|Human Anatomy with Lab *||Human Anatomy w/Lab; or Part 1 of a combined Anatomy & Physiology series.||BIOL 220 (4 semester units)|
|Human Physiology with Lab *||Human Physiology w/Lab; or Part 2 of a combined Anatomy & Physiology course series.||BIOL 212/ 213 (4 semester units)|
|Survey of Chemistry with Lab *||General, inorganic, organic, or integrated (any combination of general, organic, or biochemistry) chemistry courses are acceptable||CHEM 101/ 102 (4 semester units)|
|General Microbiology with Lab *||A Microbiology and corresponding laboratory course||BIOL 210/ 211 (4 semester units)|
|Statistics **||Statistics. Business Stats or Psych Stats are also acceptable.||Math 124 (3 semester units)|
*Science courses must be taken within the last seven years
**SF State Metro students can use AU 116/117 to satisfy the statistic prerequisite
- Please consult Assist to determine comparable or articulated coursework taken at California community colleges or CSUs. If the course in question was taken at institutions other than California community colleges, please go here.
- Repeating a prerequisite course is acceptable and applicants can choose the course with the higher grade to fulfill the prerequisite on NursingCAS application.
These documents are optional, but highly recommended. Please note that volunteer experience will get points only if it's more than 120 hours. In addition, Letter of verification needs to be on letterhead from organization(s):
- Veteran or active duty military status.
- Letter of verification for health related work or volunteer experiences. Please use this health related work letter template or volunteer experience template.
- Letter of verification for Service to Underserved Community or volunteer experiences. Please use this service to underserved community template or underserved community volunteer experience template.
- Letter of verification for for multi-linguistic fluency within health-related or service to underserved community experiences.
Interview is part of mandatory admission process. Selected qualified students will be invited and are required to attend the interview on the date and time scheduled by School of Nursing.
Courses required for RN licensure in California
While not required for admission, prospective students should be aware that the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) requires students to have completed a minimum of 16 semester units comprising natural sciences, behavioral, and social sciences. To complement the anatomy, physiology, and microbiology prerequisites, students should plan to complete a General Psychology or Developmental Psychology course prior to taking NURS 328 Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Theory and Practicum and any additional behavioral or social science course, as needed to fulfill the BRN's requirement.
Note: These courses may also satisfy GE requirements.
Pre-Licensure Course Credit By Examination
Applicants for credit by examination will be held to all existing BSN program requirements, including admission requirements, prerequisite courses, supporting courses, courses in the major, and graduation requirements. Information on the awarding of course credit for previous education or other acquired knowledge, including military education and experience can be found on Nursing Student Handbook.