The Post Master’s FNP certificate program is tailored for nurses who possess a master’s or doctorate nursing degree and desire to become a nurse practitioner. It comprises 31 units and is 1.5 - 2 years in duration. Most classes meet in the evenings, however students are required to have sufficient flexibility in their schedules to complete the clinical practicum hours during regular business hours (M-F). Nurse Practitioner faculty provide advising and mentoring to assist students in balancing work, study and personal life responsibilities. In addition, small class sizes facilitate support among students in the cohort. Upon completion of this program students become eligible for California NP certification & national board certification. Additional information about the program including student learning outcomes can be obtained in the nursing section of the SF State bulletin.
The Post Master's FNP Certificate program is a School of Nursing program jointly administered by the SF State College of Extended Learning Special Sessions department.
- All classes are taught by School of Nursing faculty
- All students are assigned a School of Nursing faculty advisor
- Tuition is $675 per unit for the 31 unit program
- Students register and pay for classes via the College of Extended Learning
- * For fall 2017 entry, in-coming Post Master's FNP certificate students will begin classes in June rather than late August.*
Prospective students must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate program:
- Master’s degree or higher in nursing
- Valid California RN license
- One year RN clinical experience
Cal State Apply Application Period
October 1 - February 1
We strongly recommend that prospective students complete the Cal State Apply application as early as possible during the application period to allow time for an SF State ID number to be issued and all required university documentation, including a set of official transcripts, residency status information, etc., to be submitted, received and processed.
School of Nursing Supplemental Application Period
October 15 - February 1, 8:59 p.m. Pacific Time
We recommend beginning the process early in the application period as late applications will not be accepted. Further supplemental application guidance is available on Program Materials sections of NursingCAS.
Step One: Submit Application to San Francisco State University via Cal State Apply
- The following program of interest/major objective must be selected on Cal State Apply: "Cert Only (Nursing: Family Nurse Practitioner) [CREDCERT]"
- The Cal State Apply application requests an essay and references. These Cal State Apply sections can be omitted as references and an essay must be submitted via the School of Nursing supplemental application.
- It is recommended that applicants complete the Cal State Apply application early in the application period. The Division of Graduate Studies will assign applicants an SF State ID# and it must subsequently be included on the School of Nursing supplemental application.
Complete details concerning this portion of the process is available on the SF State Division of Graduate Studies web site.
Step Two: School of Nursing Supplemental Application
The following supplemental application materials must be submitted via NursingCAS.
- A goal statement
- A set of unofficial transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended.
- Three professional references